Now that Maggie is here progress has slowed right down as our weekends are often occupied with visitors or simply enjoying her… luckily the house doesn’t mind slow progress. We have made some progress though… the chicken coop, which you may have seen on my instagram account, is almost complete! The chickens got to move in early as some friends gave us a rooster and their chicken tractor was just a bit too cramped.
Their new quarters are cemented into the ground so they don’t get blown away in a wind storm (we’ve had a couple) and we tried to repurpose materials rather than buying new so the tin Ben found on the marketplace, the old French glass windows came from my mums, the door from a demo yard and the wire and timber we bought from Bunnings. Not too much is left to do… some painting, general tidying, new nesting boxes/roost, and the wire needs to be reinforced over the roof.
Hopefully, the coop will be finished over the Easter school break which starts this weekend with the gardens developed after that. We are also hoping to get a little more of the fence done and to maybe complete the entry arbor.
After the coop is complete I’m contemplating installing window box gardens and maybe our raised veggie patches will line the path. It also wouldn’t be complete without a passionfruit vine growing over it…
We’ve been lucky enough to get some rain so maybe the photos of the coop all completed will have a full lawn as well!